Carol-Ann: Speaking to Transform Caregiving
For over 20 years as an Organizational Development specialist with Fortune 500 firms followed by 15 years of entrepreneurship, Carol-Ann has spoken with public sector, private sector and non-profit audiences. Companies from such diverse backgrounds as financial, retail, equipment, mining, aerospace, telecommunications and child-care have accessed her expertise in performance coaching, cultural transformation, team building and implementation of leading-edge people practices. As a result, she has earned a reputation as an exceptional communicator and coach who inspires and grows individuals plus teams to business and personal success.
Author of Coping with Un-cope -able Parents: LOVING ACTION for Eldercare, Carol-Ann is a popular speaker at professional conferences across North America. She has appeared via print, radio and TV in locations from Australia to Washington. Her mission is to significantly alter how our society supports aging populations and their caregivers.
She regularly receives strong feedback on her collaborative approach to facilitation, being particularly known for her talent to create safety while challenging participants to grow to their full potential.
Holder of a B.A. and B. Ed. from the University of Toronto and a certified Master Trainer of numerous marketplace programs, she is also a familiar presenter at the International Association of Facilitators and International Coach Federation Conferences in the Caribbean, U.S. and Canada.
For Meeting/Event/Conference Planners, Carol-Ann is more than happy to customize any of her subjects into a number of formats that include:
- Workshops: 45-90 minute introductory, half-day and full-day in-depth
- Speeches & Keynotes
- Break-out Sessions
- “Breakfast Briefs” and “Lunch & Learns”
- Leadership Meetings & Retreats
And… The best part for many is…
She resides amongst the few speakers who can captivate without an over-reliance on technology. That means less set-up for conveners and more time on the power of her meaningful message!
Of course, she can ‘do’ PowerPoint, but do you really need it when you have her?
- One in 10 people over 65 will spend some portion of their lives in an adult care facility or nursing home
- Approximately one-third of American nursing homes have received more than three complaints annually due to under-staffing, abuse, neglect and other deficiencies (not like this would ever characterize your service)
- In the U.S., there are approximately 23,000 investment-grade retirement home properties containing roughly three million units
Intended Audiences:Front-Line, Personal Support Workers (PSW’s), Dietary, Housekeeping, Marketing & Management
Representative Topics:Coming Together as a Care Provider Team Trust- and respect-building skills to keep all contributors operating as ‘one’ Self-Care for Those Who Provide Care A nourishing oasis for those whose devotion toward others often overrides their own needs Boosting Your Personal Leadership An empowering session to urge team members to embrace their accountability plus belonging
- Wikipedia defines Caregiver Stress Syndrome as “a condition of exhaustion, anger, rage, or guilt that results from unrelieved caring for a chronically-ill dependent”
- Caregivers of aging parents are far more likely than their peers to experience long-term medical problems like heart disease, cancer, diabetes or arthritis – along with elevated stress hormones, weaker immune systems, fatigue or insomnia, stomach complaints, slower wound healing and higher levels of obesity
- As if the health impacts weren’t enough, in 25% of cases, caring for an ill or aging relative is reported as playing a significant role in their divorce or separation
No one needs to convince the frustrated and overwhelmed caregiver – particularly if charged with an Un-cope-able Parent (i.e., challenging to the point of impossible)!
At its worst, you wonder who will pass away first – you or your Mom/Dad. No kidding. So much is written about elder abuse. What about caregiver abuse? That is what a person daily dealing with a resistant senior goes through. Right?
Thank goodness there exists a Champion & Advocate ready, willing and able to provide unique and down-to-earth solutions. That way, you don’t become part of the caregiver’s 63% higher mortality rate and instead safeguard your health, career, finances and relationships during this ultra-difficult chapter of life.
The Beleaguered Sandwich Generation & All Frustrated Caregivers of Crazy-Making Aging Parents! (able to receive this information in hospitals, at Baby Boomer Networks, Hobby Gatherings, Travel Groups, Health Food Stores, Spas and more)
What to do When the Terrible Two’s become the Entitled Eighties: Coping Strategies for Burnt-Out Caregivers
Six LOVING attitudes plus six focused ACTIONs to restore sanity during this grueling marathon.
How to Bring Your Real Feelings Out of the Shadows and Into the Light
A safe environment to express ‘unpermitted’ underlying emotions and create healing.
How to Approach Releasing the Car Keys, Completing Essential Paperwork, Selling the Parental Home & Other Impossible Topics
Step-by-step advice that results in successfully persuading even the most stubborn senior.
- Absenteeism at 6.6 days per year for each employee focused on eldercare costs U.S. firms between $17 billion and $33 billion annually
- A National Study of the Changing Workforce indicates that 38% of caregivers of older adults working for pay experience depressive symptoms while 37% report feeling stressed “fairly often” or “very often”
- In 2033 (sooner than you think), the Canadian ratio of those of working age paying taxes compared to seniors (65-plus accessing public programs) will have shrunk to 2.5 (compared to 8.0 in 1971) – pointing to an alarming dearth of the 16 to 64 cohort who are supporting a bulging mature populace; corporations can expect to pick up the slack
The statistics are staggering. Eldercare isn’t simply a “personal problem”. It’s an urgent imperative that forward-looking companies confront today. Not tomorrow.
Given the high price tag caregiving exacts upon your workforce (Baby Boomers, GenX and Millennials), cutting-edge firms quickly recognize that bolstering team members contending with such responsibilities makes solid business sense.
The corporate world needs to wake up and smell the coffee of this economic reality. You appreciate it is possible to institute proactive people practices while achieving bottom-line prosperity and protecting against liability (due to not having installed such policies).
Fortune 500 & Not-For-Profit Executives, Leaders & Managers
The Mushrooming Aging Crisis at Work: Time to Face the Unavoidable
The solution-oriented business case for progressive H.R. eldercare practices/policies.
Getting Ahead of the Eldercare Crisis: Five Must-Do’s to be an Employer of Choice
Actionable leadership strategies to boost team member engagement and retention.
The High Workplace Price Tag of Caregiving & What to Do About It
Techniques to manage serious health impacts and maintain employee productivity at work.
- By 2030, 55 countries are expected to see their age 65+ populations become 20% of their total
- By 2030, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates a population of 71-72 million Americans over 65 (one in five) – the fastest growing segment currently consists of those 85 and up
- By 2040, the number of older people globally will be 1.3 billion – accounting for 14% of the total (where China and India have the largest senior populations)
Mushrooming aging populations are clearly not confined to North America. This is a global issue.
Already today, bulging World War II Generation and Baby Boomer numbers risk to strain ill-prepared systems (healthcare, legal, financial, insurance, real estate, automobile, funeral and consumer service providers) beyond the breaking point. These demographics show no signs of slowing down for decades.
Einstein had it right. Tomorrow’s problems cannot be solved using the same thinking that created them. You foresee the desperate need for new approaches ahead of late change-adopters and are prepared to act now.
EAP (Employee Assistance Program) Providers, Informal (unpaid) & Formal (paid) Care Partners, Government Agencies, Policy Makers
Navigating the Eldercare Maze: An Innovative A.D.V.O.C.A.C.Y. Model
Out-of-the-box mindsets and actions to clear systemic roadblocks – and not just in healthcare!
The Caregiver Revolution: Are You Part of the Solution?
An open forum to catalyze and advance transformation at the highest levels of society.
Coaching Through Un-cope-able Eldercare
Energy management tips added to your wellness toolkit to relieve burdened caregiver clients.