Where did ten weeks of “Carol-Ann’s Top 10 Caregiver Lessons” go? Unbelievable! Just on time for the U.S. Thanksgiving weekend we itemize them with this blog.
In keeping with the frenzied holiday season, we also have upcoming themes on Coping with Un-cope-able Siblings and Coping with Un-cope-able Festivities. Let’s deal with one matter at a time, though.
Can You Relate?
Here is your lesson summary:
- How am I going to survive the craziness, Carol-Ann?
- Why can’t I just tell my parents what to do?
- How on earth do I get anything done when everything is an uphill battle?
- What can you say to help me hang in there?
- Always remember who was there for you (and who was not).
- How do I withstand my parents’ endlessly repeated stories?
- Why should I bother to see things through with aplomb?
- Why are things still not better now that one or both parents have passed away?
- What was I ‘supposed’ to learn, again?
- Do things ever return to ‘normal’?
Name One Strength
Along the way, I’ve been urging you to access various resources on my website as well as your inner wisdom. In fact, I invite you to connect to your core right now. If you had only one theme you believe is a strength (i.e., the ability to sit back and listen neutrally to your difficult folks), what would it be? Always, we want to build on a source of strength when it comes to eldercare. It’s too easy to fall into the self-criticizing trap of all we’re doing ‘wrong’.
Name One Area of Opportunity
On the other hand, there are always growth edges when it comes to the chapter of life called caregiving. Here, I need to return to a feedback process I internalized over 20 years ago during corporate life. Instead of using denigrating phrases like ‘constructive feedback’ and ‘negative feedback’ (even worse), the model refers to ‘areas of opportunity’ and ‘feedback for improvement’. How much more empowering is that? Here’s my encouragement…
Name One Next Step
Based on “Carol-Ann’s Top 10 Caregiver Lessons”, what do you see as your single most important opportunity for improvement?
No matter which you choose, I’m certain I can help. Here’s my gentle challenge. Please use my Contact Form at https://www.copingwithuncopeableparents to schedule your Free Confidential Readiness Session so we can get started on the exactly-right coaching package for your situation.
That is, if you are truly ready to change your eldercare circumstances going into a new year and new decade!