You know, I once debated (vocally!) with a (former) friend about whether reflection and fun can co-exist. She asserted they are mutually exclusive. I beg to differ. Quietude by going within is how we come to know what’s right by us – and no one else.
As a result of reviewing 2019 in-depth, today’s focus is my bold declaration regarding what I am letting go of in my life.
Just before I enumerate my list, let’s gain a common understanding of the term, toleration. Coaches regularly help our clients to identify what drains their energy in realms like health, relationships, career, finances, lack of recreation plus learning and growth. We aim to reduce or eliminate altogether what these folks are putting up with. Even something as a simple as chipped wall paint can have a depleting effect. Believe it or not.
Create a Pledge Instead
Once certain about what we don’t want, it’s often easier to back into what we do want, as it were. For instance, if we’re saying no to poor sleep, then we are by definition saying yes to placing appropriate boundaries around our work day and restorative evening. Make sense?
Herewith, I offer my Top 10 “I Am DONE” Commitments:
- Being available to everyone but myself.
- Being super-responsible such that I sacrifice my own health in the process.
- Being strong on the inside for others while disallowing my own vulnerability.
- Permitting downright nasty behavior that doesn’t get called out.
- Letting people believe that silence or avoidance are appropriate responses.
- Shutting down my voice of truth when it needs to be spoken.
- Pining over doors that are closing and risking to miss the open ones.
- Chasing after people who are not worth the time and effort.
- Being reluctant to let go of connections for fear of ‘hurting’ them.
- Staying small and visible because of fears I am ‘too much’ for others.
“Your Mission Should You Choose to Accept It”
Not impossible but possible!
Can you guess what’s coming next? If you surmise that I will gently challenge you to create your own Top 10 List between now and next time, you win the prize!
Stay tuned for next week’s theme. It is: What I STAND For. In the meantime, if you wish to benefit from my customized intention-setting processes to design your life (and no one else’s), drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org